RulesView all rules
Randomizer Tournament Rules
Sign ups for this tournament will close on Sunday, October 24, at 12:00 pm EDT. Any participant who is not officially registered on Smash for this tournament at that time will not be allowed to participate, regardless of qualifier results.
Each match will be best-of-3, single elimination. Each match is expected to be played in 1 sitting.
The top 16 registered players with the highest scores after all qualifier races have concluded will qualify and be seeded by rank.
The settings for all races this year will be:
- Major/Minors Split
- Full Area Randomization On
- Boss Shuffle On
- Logic will be the same as Randomizer League Season 3, including Progression Speed being be randomized between Slow, Medium, Fast, Basic, VARIAble, and speedrun
- There is now a preset on the VARIA site. Look for "SGLive 2021" at http://randommetroidsolver.pythonanywhere.com/randomizer
Randomizer Qualifier Rules
There will be 6 qualifying races using a point system that rounds to the nearest hundredth of a point.
Participants are allowed to run in a maximum of 3 out of the 6 qualifiers.
We will take each participant’s top 2 scores, sum them, and seed accordingly.
The top X number of participants’ times will be averaged per qualifier. For every 6 participants that compete in a qualifier, 1 additional runner will be averaged in as a “top time.” (1 / 2-6, 2 / 7-12, 3 / 13-18, etc.) This will cap at 5 if a qualifier reaches 25+ participants.
The top times will be averaged, then points will be awarded to all participants based on the percentage of each participant’s time relative to the average of the top times.
The point scale will be out of 105.
- Qualifier 1: Friday, October 15, 9:00 p.m. EDT
- Qualifier 2: Saturday, October 16, 2:00 p.m. EDT
- Qualifier 3: Saturday, October 16, 7:00 p.m. EDT
- Qualifier 4: Friday, October 22, 7:00 p.m. EDT
- Qualifier 5: Saturday, October 23, 11:00 a.m. EDT
- Qualifier 6: Saturday, October 23, 5:00 p.m. EDT
Race Procedures and Rules
- Auto tracking is permitted only for item tracking. You MAY NOT use auto map-tracking.
- Runners will use RaceTime.gg to time and record their race. All runners must have a RaceTime account. The time listed on RaceTime is the official time for the match. All runners are required to stream and to follow all RaceTime rules.
- All races must be streamed on Twitch. Additionally, all runners must have the vod of the stream available for potential review by the organizers for at least 1 week after the race. Failure to comply with this rule could lead to the loss of an earned qualifying spot in the tournament.
- Players may not be in a restream channel or any chat (twitch, discord etc.) during a race.
- Watching other racer’s streams or any restream while racing is not allowed.
- Runners caught or who are suspected of cheating will be automatically forfeited from further participation in the tournament. All decisions on cheating will be made by the organizers and will be final.
- Given the time constraints of the tournament, and the fact that seeds with these settings typically take longer than previous tournament modes, and that best-of-3 matches are to be played in one sitting, the losing player is expected to forfeit immediately after the winning player finishes. If the losing player is at the MB2 fight or beyond, only then should they finish the seed if they choose.
- Any form of out of bounds is banned, as is Underflow, wrong warps, and memory corruption.
- Runners must use default audio. Use of alternate audio is prohibited in all cases.
- Runners may use alternate color palettes and/or alternate sprites.
- Exceptions to the above rule: The Samus hitbox sprite may not be used. Also, any sprite used must have the same screw attack animation with or without Space Jump.
- Any disputes will be handled by organizers and all decisions will be final.
- The 16 runners who qualify are expected to get in contact with their opponent of each round as immediately as possible to schedule. These runners should expect to play matches within 24-48 hours of the previous round. If a runner is having trouble getting in touch with an opponent, please let an organizer know immediately.
- All races that end in a tie will result in a win being awarded to the higher seeded runner.
- Runners may use cartridge, flashcart, approved emulator or SNES classic.
- ZSNES and Snes9x (v1.43 and below) are banned.
- The run-ahead feature in RetroArch is also banned.
- Turbo controllers and functionality are both banned.
- Emulator specific functionality is banned (e.g. save states, fast forward, etc).
- Pressing Up+Down or Left+Right simultaneously is banned.
- Only one action can be mapped to any given button.
- Only one button can be mapped to any given action.
Top 16 Bracket Scheduling Rules
- Round of 16 matches must be played in the window between Monday, November 1 and Saturday November 6.
- Quarterfinal matches must be played in the window between Friday, November 5 and Monday, November 8. Note that this round can have a match prior to the deadline of the previous round (if applicable), but no quarterfinal match may be played before Friday, November 5.
- Semifinal matches must be played in the window between Tuesday, November 9 and Wednesday, November 10.
- Finals and Bronze Matches must be played in the window between Thursday, November 11 and Friday, November 12. It is preferred that the bronze match happen ASAP to potentially be before the Finals, but it is not mandatory.
- There will be zero tolerance for no-shows. If a player is a no-show, that player will forfeit the match.
- A player will be considered a no-show if they are not in the race room by 15 minutes after the scheduled start time, and has made no effort to contact their opponent or the admins.
- Even if said contact is made, if a race is unable to be played at that time, or reasonably be rescheduled within the deadline, the player that was the original no-show will forfeit the match.
- 1st Place - 50%
- 2nd Place - 30%
- 3rd Place - 15%
- 4th Place - 5%
- Additionally, the 1st place winner will win an upgraded SNES Jr. Details can be found in the #super-metroid_rando channel in the SGL Discord. The winner of this prize will need to contact Hausdorff to arrange for receiving the donation.