Last Updated: June 20th, 2022
Personal Data We Collect:
We may collect personal data from you, as further described below:
- Registration, Contact, and Event Information. Data you provide to create an account and to set up or attend an event, such as your name, birthdate, country, postal address, email address, telephone number, username, gamertag or other similar identifier, financial transactions, and survey responses.
- User contributions. Data you provide for us to publish or display on the Services, such as screenshots, comments, and other content ("User Contributions").
- Technical Data. Data including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your approximate geographic location, your login information, demographic data, browser type and version, other characteristics of your device and software, domain names of your Internet Service Provider, a record of your usage of the Services, the time of your usage time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, or operating system and platform.
- Interaction data. Data about your interactions with the Services, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), clickstream to, through, and from our Services (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, or any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Non-personal data. Data that does not directly or indirectly identify you such as statistical or aggregated information. We may derive non-personal statistical or aggregated data from your personal data. For example, we may aggregate personal data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific feature of our Services.
How We Collect Personal Data:
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us data about you by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes data you provide when you register or create an account, organize or attend an event, participate in a donation drive, purchase or sell tickets or products, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Services, respond to a survey, and when you report a problem with or ask a question about our Services.
- Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with our Services, we may automatically collect technical data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns as specified above. We collect this information by using cookies, server logs, and other similar technologies.
- Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive data about you from third-parties including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, search information providers, data brokers, or aggregators.
- User contributions. You may submit User Contributions for posting and transmission to others at your own risk. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of any Services users with whom you choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that unauthorized persons will not view your User Contributions.
How We Use Personal Data:
We may use your data as follows:
- Specific reason. If you provide data for a certain reason, we may use your data in connection with the reason for which it was provided or the reason that was stated when it was collected. For instance, if you contact us by e-mail, we will use the data you provide to answer your question or resolve your problem and will respond to the email address from which the contact came.
- Access and use. If you provide data in order to obtain access to or use of the Services or any functionality thereof, we will use your data to provide you with access to or use of the Services or functionality, enable your participation in the Services and features, notify you about changes to our Services, and to monitor your use of such Services or functionality. For instance, if you supply data for the purpose of purchasing products associated with an event, we will use that information to facilitate fulfillment of such purchase.
- Internal business purposes. We may use your data for internal business purposes including to help us deliver the Services, improve the content and functionality of the Services, to better understand our users, to protect against, identify or address wrongdoing, to enforce our Terms of Service or other agreements, to comply with applicable laws, to protect the Services and business operations, to manage your account and provide you with customer service, and to generally manage the Services and our business.
- Marketing. We may use your data to contact you in the future for our marketing and advertising purposes, including to inform you about services or events we believe might be of interest to you, and to develop promotional or marketing materials and provide those materials to you, and to display content and advertising on the Services that we believe might relevant to you.
- Tournament Organizers. When a General User registers for or attends an event, we share data about the General User, including email addresses, with the applicable Tournament Organizer.
How We Share Personal Data:
We are not in the business of selling your data. We consider this information to be a vital part of our relationship with you. Therefore, we will not sell your personal data to third parties, including third party advertisers. There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may disclose, transfer or share your data with certain third parties without further notice to you, as set forth below:
- Agents, Consultants and Related Third Parties. We, like many businesses, sometimes engage other companies to perform certain business-related functions. Examples of such functions include mailing information, order fulfillment, fraud prevention, maintaining databases and processing payments. When we engage another company to perform such functions, we may provide them with information, including your data, in connection with their performance of such functions.
- Legal requirements. We may disclose your data if required to do so by law (including, without limitation responding to a subpoena or request from law enforcement, court or government agency) or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary (i) to comply with a legal obligation, (ii) to protect or defend our rights, interests or property or that of third parties, (iii) to prevent, investigate, or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with the Services, (iv) to act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public, or (v) to protect against legal liability.
- For the purpose disclosed: We may disclose your data for the purpose for which you provide it and for the purpose that we disclose in writing when you provide it. For example, if you provide your email address to register for an event, we will share your email address with the event’s Tournament Organizer.
- Enforce our Rights: We may disclose your personal data to enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements.
- Protect our Business: We may disclose your personal data to protect the rights, property, or safety of our business, our employees, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of cybersecurity, fraud protection, and credit risk reduction.
Cookies and similar technologies
- Storing your preferences and settings. We use these technologies and allow third parties to use these technologies to store your preferences and settings on your device, and to enhance your experiences. For example, to provide a quick link to recently-visited Tournaments in the left side navigation, we store the most recent Tournaments you’ve visited in a cookie. Saving your preferences with cookies, such as your preferred language, prevents you from having to set your preferences repeatedly. Similarly, in scenarios where we obtain your consent to place cookies on your device, we store your choice in a cookie.
- Social media. START.GG uses social media cookies, including those that enable users who are signed in to the social media service to share content via that service.
You can manage cookies through your web browser's option settings and through those settings you may be able (a) to receive notifications when you are receiving new cookies; (b) to disable cookies; or (c) to delete cookies. Please refer to your web browser's help section for information on how to do this.Our use of web beacons and other technologies
- Pixel tags (also known as clear GIFs or web beacons). A pixel tag is a tiny invisible tag or graphic placed on certain parts of the Services or other websites, in emails or in certain other downloadable content, but not on your computer, mobile device or browser, except to the extent that you download the content that contains such tags. Pixel tags do not store data on your computer, mobile device or browser (although they are occasionally downloaded to your computer if contained in an email or other downloadable content) so cannot be managed by you except by deleting the content in which the tag is contained.
- Local shared objects (also known as flash cookies). A local shared object is similar to a cookie, except it is stored on your computer or mobile device, instead of your browser, and it can store more than just text. Local shared objects are stored on your computer or mobile device. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for local shared objects, click here.
You have several choices available when it comes to your data:
- Limit the personal data you provide. You can limit the data you provide when using the Services. If you choose not to limit the data you provide, you may not be able to use certain functionality of the Services. For instance, in order to register for an event, your name and email address will be required.
- Do Not Track. We currently do not participate in any "Do Not Track" frameworks that would allow us to respond to signals or other mechanisms from you regarding the collection of your data.
We do not direct our Services to children and we do not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from children when parental consent is required based on local applicable law. If we learn we have mistakenly or unintentionally collected or received personal data from a child, we will delete it. If you believe we mistakenly or unintentionally collected any information from or about a child, please contact us at email@example.com.
Links to Other Web Sites:
Storage and Security:
We may store your data itself or such information may be included in databases owned and maintained by our affiliates, agents or service providers. We take what we believe to be reasonable physical, electronic and administrative steps to protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, inadvertent disclosure, alteration, and destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure. Although we do our best to protect your data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to or on our Services. Any transmission of data is at your own risk. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Services. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Where Information is Processed:
START.GG and its affiliates are based in the United States. No matter where you are located your data will be processed, stored, and transferred in and to the U.S. where our servers are located.
Access to Information:
Tournament Organizers may access and update their data being stored by us by logging in and visiting their account management page. Tournament Organizers may also contact us directly at the address specified below with respect to data that is not accessible through the Services. General Users who do not have a formal account with START.GG can create an account by signing up. After signing up, you can update and access your data on the My Account page. General Users can also contact us directly with requests to update their data at the address specified below. We will take reasonable steps to respond to requests relating to Personal Data promptly.
Access, Retention and Deletion of Personal Data:
California Consumer Privacy Act
If you are a California resident, we process your personal data in accordance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). This CCPA section of our Privacy Statement contains information required by the CCPA and supplements our Privacy Statement.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, household, or device ("personal information"). In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).
Registration, Contact, and Event Information. Data to create an account and to set up or attend an event, such as name, birthdate, country, postal address, email address, telephone number, username, gamertag or other similar identifier, financial transactions, and survey responses.
C. Protected classes.
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information. Although we collect birthdates, that information is note used to associate you with a protected age group.
D. Commercial information
Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
E. Biometric information.
Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.
F. Internet or other similar network activity.
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
G. Geolocation data.
Physical location or movements.
H. Sensory data.
Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
I. Professional or employment-related information.
Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
J. Non-public education information.
Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.
K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.
Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources as described above (see How We Collect Personal Data).
Use of Personal Information
We may use, or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the purposes described above (see How We Use Personal Data). We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We do not sell personal information.
We may share your personal information by disclosing it to a third party for a business purpose. We only make these business purpose disclosures under written contracts that describe the purposes, require the recipient to keep the personal information confidential, and prohibit using the disclosed information for any purpose except performing the contract. In the preceding twelve (12) months, START.GG has disclosed personal information for a business purpose to the categories of third parties indicated in the chart below.
|Personal Information Category||Purpose||Third Party Disclosures|
Provide our Services, respond to customer inquiries, and marketing.
B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Provide our Services, respond to customer inquiries, and marketing.
C: Protected classification characteristics.
D: Commercial information.
Provide our Services and fulfill purchases and marketing
E: Biometric information.
F: Internet or other similar network activity.
Provide our Services.
G: Geolocation data.
Provide our Services.
H: Sensory data.
I: Professional or employment-related information.
J: Non-public education information.
K: Inferences drawn from other personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months (the "right to know"). You also have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions (the "right to delete"). Once we receive your request and confirm your identity, we will review your request to see if an exception allowing us to retain the information applies. We will delete or deidentify personal information not subject to an exception under the CCPA and will direct our service providers to take similar action.
To exercise your rights to know or delete, please submit a request by either:
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visiting us at www.start.gg
You may only submit a request to know twice within a 12-month period. Your request to know or delete must provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. You do not need to create an account with us to submit a request to know or delete. We will only use personal information provided in the request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make it.
Response Timing and Format
We will confirm receipt of your request within ten (10) business days. If you do not receive confirmation within the 10-day timeframe, please email email@example.com. We endeavor to substantively respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to another 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights.